The uniqueness of this program also stems from the fact that it allows students to experience first-hand the academic knowledge and networking of two leading academic institutions in the Mediterranean region.
The Luiss School of Government is part of Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali (Luiss) Guido Carli, a multidisciplinary university offering degrees at all academic levels. The focus is on Business Studies, Economics, Politics and Law. Located in Rome, the university is committed to excellence in terms of considerable investment in education and research. By virtue of its affiliation with Confindustria, the Italian Industrialists’ Confederation, the university has close ties with the country’s industrial concerns, most of which operate internationally. Its teaching and research excellence has recently been confirmed through an independent evaluation by Il Sole 24 Ore, one of Europe’s leading daily newspapers, and the national ranking which places Luiss as number one in Italy in the areas of international politics and security.
Universidad Francisco de Vitoria (UFV) is a private, non-profit Catholic university located in metropolitan Madrid, Spain. Founded in 1993, it has since become a fast-growing institution of higher education with a student body of over 8,500 undergraduate students and 6,000 postgraduate students. Today the campus houses six faculties, including a prestigious school of Culinary Arts (Le Cordon Bleu), a Vocational Training Center (CETYS), a Postgraduate Studies Center, an Executive Consulting and Coaching Center (IDDI), an International Business School and a Medical Simulation Center, which collectively cover the full spectrum of training, research and education. With a student-centered and comprehensive educational approach, UFV aims to accompany and guide each of our students throughout his or her time at the university, providing the necessary support for them not only to become outstanding professionals in their respective disciplines, but also to be well-rounded thinkers and leaders capable of making significant contributions to society.
Combining the extensive experience of Luiss School of Government and UFV, this joint Master in European Security is a unique program designed to train the next generation of practitioners and leaders in the field of international politics and management with a specific professional interest on security developments in Europe with an extended perspective on transatlantic area, as well the Middle East and Asia.
Students will also be able to appreciate the multiculturalism of the master since they will have the opportunity to study European security challenges while living in Rome and Italy and interacting with students with diverse nationalities and cultural background.
As part of the multidisciplinary curriculum, students will take advanced courses on international and regional security, the role of European institutions in the field of Security and Defence while interacting with professionals and security experts from the Luiss School of Government and UFV.
During the first semester, students will attend courses delivered in Rome before then moving to Madrid at UFV for the second part of the program. Upon completion, they will have benefited from the opportunity to appreciate the academic, professional and cultural experiences of two leading academic institutions that are extremely active in training and research associated with European security in a global setting.
Students will need to complete a set of core and elective courses.
Module – Luiss School of Government – Rome
Students must attend 4 Core Courses. These courses provide the core theoretical and professional basis for understanding the security and stability challenges of the Mediterranean region.
- European Institutions
- Policies and Policy Making in the European Union
- European History and Policies after 1045
- European Security
Successively they have to choose 2 of the following Elective Courses, in order to create their own specialized curriculum:
- Business and Economics in the Mediterranean area
- Migration in the Mediterranean area
- History of Southern European Integration and Defence
- Energy Challenges in the Mediterranean area
Modele UFV – Madrid
Students are expected to complete the following courses:
- War and Strategy in the XXI Century
- European Security Prioritiies 1; Maghreb/Sahel Region
- European Security Prioritiies 2; China
- European Security Prioritiies 3; Russia
- European Security Prioritiies 5; Transatlantic
- European Security Prioritiies 1: Middle East
Both at the Universidad Francisco de Vitoria and the Luiss School of Government, students will attend thematic seminars, including practical career development workshops.
Students are expected to complete a final dissertation under the supervision of a member of the faculty of the Master course by the end of September 2022.
This Master draws upon the teaching and professional skills of highly regarded international academics, chosen for their sectorial knowledge of the seminal and evolving areas of the course.
This programme is led by Prof. Adriaan Kuhn at Francisco de Vitoria University, Prof. Giovanni Orsina, Director of the Luiss School of Government and Prof. Mariaelena Cavallaro, Associate Professor of History of International Relations at Luiss University and member of CIHDE (Centro de Investigaciones Históricas de la Democracia Española), in Madrid.
The Faculty also includes:
- Prof. Francesca Maria Corrao, Full Professor of Arabic Culture and Language, Faculty of Political Science, Luiss University Rome and President of the Fondazione Orestiadi in Gibellina (Sicily) and Dar Bach Hamba in Tunis.
- Prof. Cecilia Jona Lasinio, Senior researcher at the National Accounts Division of the Italian Statistical Institute (Istat) and Lecturer at Luiss University in Rome
- Prof. Stefania Panebianco,JM Chair EUMEDEA, Co-editor Global Affairs Dept of Political and Social Sciences at University of Catania
- Prof. Leonardo Morlino, Professor of Political Science and Director of the International Research Center on Democracies and Democratizations at Luiss University in Rome
- Prof. Maria Giulia Amadio Viceré, Post-Doctoral Researcher in Political Science – Luiss University in Rome
- Prof. Carlota García Encina, Senior Analyst for the US and the Transatlantic Relations at the Spanish think-tank Real Instituto Elcano and a Lecturer in International Relations at Universidad Francisco de Vitoria
- Prof. Arie Kacowicz, Faculty Member of Georgetown University, the Chaim Weizmann Chair in International Relations, and Professor at the Department of International Relations at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Prof. Guillermo Graiño, Full-time Assistant Professor in Political Theory at Universidad Francisco de Vitoria de Madrid
- Prof. Ignacio Cosidó, member of both the Spanish Parliament and the Senate, held teaching positions at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Universidad Pontificia Comillas and the Instituto Universitario Gutiérrez Mellado.
- Prof. Carlos Echeverría, Professor of International Relations at Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (UNED)
- Prof. Ana Capilla, coordinator for education in the Organization of Iberoamerican States (OIE) holds academic assignments at Universidad Francisco de Vitoria.
- Prof. Jochen Mueller, Deputy Head of the Commission Representation in Spain and holds teaching assignments in different universities.
This master course selects students according to the following criteria:
- Academic merit: the quality and coherence of the university career as shown by the academic documents, the CV and reference letters;
- International experience: a demonstrable orientation towards international careers;
- Motivation: convincing reasons as to why and how the program will foster personal and professional aspirations.
Applicants need to send all the following documents through the online form:
- CV or resume;
- motivation letter explaining the candidate’s motivation for attending the master;
- university transcript (certificato di laurea con lista degli esami);
- a reference letter (or contact of a potential referee);
- where applicable, a certificate of English proficiency;
- a copy of the applicant’s national identity card or passport.
If you experience problems with your application form, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org and send your application material directly via e-mail.
Tuition fees for the Master in Euro-Mediterranean Security have been fixed at €10,000, to be paid in two installments:
- 50% (€ 5,000) to Luiss before the start of the program;
- 50% (€ 5,000) to UFV before the start of the study period in Madrid.
Luiss and UFV alumni will have a 10% discount on the tuition fee.
*10% early bird discount if you apply by 30 March 2021.
Additional information can be requested at:
Luiss School of Government
Via di Villa Emiliani, 14
00197 Rome Italy
Tel: 0039 06 85225052